Monday, March 10, 2008

The General in His Labyrinth Part I

Well...here goes my attempt to get back into 'good-personhood'....

This is the first time I'm reading a book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (to my eternal shame). I like his style and...what a different account of the dictator figure! Of course, Simon Bolivar really was a hero for many, unlike dictators who project themselves as such but have nothing to back it up with.

I find it interesting that so much emphasis is placed on reading as opposed to writing in this book. We have Manuela and Fernando reading to the General; we have accounts of the trail of books he has left behind him over the years and various military campaigns; when letters come there is an emphasis on reading again, rather than the writing. There is also a sense of deterioration, both in the kinds of books the General has his aides read to him from and, more obviously, in the fact that the General himself can not really read anymore because of his deteriorating health and more generally, his deteriorating power. This is perhaps also a metaphor for his fading dream of continental unity.

I also found the account of Bolivar to be an interesting mix of Facundo and El Supremo, with the former's bravery and militray capability and the latter's intellect....but lacking the brutality of both of htose men. In addition, he is clearly loved by the people while Facundo and El Supremo are both hated and feared. Ok, so there have been more than a few attempts on the General's life bu thte impression I got that most of the regular people genuinely like him...Obviously, his enemeis would want him dead.

I have to say that I am much more sympathetic to this character than to the others we have encountered thus far...There is such a sadness about him and yet it is intricately intertwined with humour...I am really liking this book.

1 comment:

Carla said...

I too was thinking that this book is a good mix of the Facundo and Yo El Supremo book. The content is very much like Facundo in the sense that all these names are mixed into the story, and at one point, it just gets overwhelming. However, Simon Bolivar has so many similarities to El Supremo as we discussed in class such as: the fine line between liberator and dictator (though I do think that Bolivar was appointed dictator at one point in time), their mental and physical states, etc...